Thursday 10 January 2013

Decline of the West, part 849

If one needs further proof that the world is going to Hell in a handbasket, probably a handbasket made of some tacky synthetic material, one need only look at children's television. Once upon a time, long-eared hounds wearing tweed jackets were trusted with the task of instructing the young.



Lord Bassington-Bassington is currently investigating whether this wonderful canine known as Hector is a relative. As Hector also seemed to enjoy both neofolk and felines, there is bound to be a bond of blood somewhere.


Of course, when the Bassetocracy is finally introduced, children's television will mostly consist of reruns of Hector's House.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of children's entertainment: http://www.aftenposten.no/meninger/kronikker/Kardemomme-by-skader-barna-7086101.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know. I prefer to only blog about things I love, it's better for my mental health, but since you raise the question I have to say that this stuff has been one of my pet peeves for years.

    It’s essentially the same arguments that were raised against Tintin, Astrid Lindgren, and so on. In the case of the original “Tintin in the Congo” book I can kind of understand it. If I'm not mistaken, even Hergé regretted his nasty portrayal of Africans, and made a more decent version. But when it comes to Kardemomme By it’s just political correctness (a term I don’t like, but I can’t find a better one) gone berserk.

    A culture with no room for Kardemomme By or Astrid Lindgren isn’t a culture worth growing up in.

    ReplyDelete