Monday 5 September 2011

Loveable handles



While already a member of the New Sheridan Club, Lord Bassington-Bassington is currently investigating The Handlebar Club.


This august society, founded in 1947, demands that its member possess "a hirsute appendage of the upper lip, with graspable extremities". So surely the stately whiskers of a Basset Hound qualifies for membership?



In fact, Basset Hounds are so naturally elegant that even Basset ladies (such as the lovely Lucy from Boston seen above) would qualify for membership in the Handlebar Club!

And like any club worth being in, The Handlebar Club has a lovely selection of ties and cufflinks.

4 comments:

  1. A couple of months ago I sported a handlebar, but now I keep my moustache and beard trimmed. By the way, that's a lovely tie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the tie is exquisite. They also have ties for friends of the club, but they're less stylish - dark, reddy colours warm my heart.

    By the way, I'm curious about how Scandinavians react to handlebar moustaches. Care to share your experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately not, because I only had my handlebar moustache while I was here in Tallinn ;)

    It's quite rare to see Estonians or Russians with moustaches or beard, that is much more common in Scandinavia. But the reason for that I don't know. I've had my beard for many years and would feel naked without it.

    Do you have a handlebar now or are you working on it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The clean-shaven Russians surprise me a bit, because other Slavic countries I'm familiar with have a lot of men with magnificent moustaches.

    As a Basset hound, I naturally have a stylish handlebar. My secretary, though, being the hairless ape that he is, isn't so lucky. He usually shaves his face and head, but seems inclined to start experimenting with facial hair.

    ReplyDelete